Employer of Record in Samoa

Only 499 EUR per employee per month

We currently do not offer any services in this country.
We're sorry for the inconvenience...

Rivermate's Employer of Record (EOR)Ā solution helps companies hire remote employees in Samoa . We take care of global payroll, taxes, benefits, compliance and HR activities. So you can focus on growing your business. Our Employer of Record (EOR) solution is beneficial to companies that want to hire remote employees in a breeze. On this page you will find employment information for Samoa.

Employer of Record people
A coin
Samoan Tala
A pin
A paper airplane
Hire remote employees
A pile of gold
$841 million
Line graph
GDPĀ growth
Business suitcase
Ease of doing business
Planet earth
World GDPĀ share

1. Grow your team in Samoa with Rivermate as your Employer of Record (EOR) / PEO

Payroll, benefits, taxes, and compliance can be difficult to manage in Samoa , particularly if you don't have established local relationships. You can hire employees in Samoa effectively, conveniently, and in full compliance with all relevant labor laws using Rivermate's global Employer of Record (EOR) solution. We handle the responsibilities and legal risks associated with foreign employment so you can concentrate on growing your company.

2. Summary

Samoa is a Polynesian island republic comprised of two large islands (Savai'i and Upolu); two smaller, populated islands (Manono and Apolima); and many smaller, uninhabited islands, notably the Aleipata Islands (Nu'utele, Nu'ulua, Fanuatapu, and Namua). Samoa is located 64 kilometers (40 miles) west of American Samoa, 889 kilometers (552 miles) northeast of Tonga (the closest foreign country), 1,152 kilometers (716 miles) northeast of Fiji, 483 kilometers (300 miles) east of Wallis and Futuna, 1,151 kilometers (715 miles) southeast of Tuvalu, 519 kilometers (322 miles) south of Tokelau, 4,190 kilometers (2,600 miles) southwest of Hawaii, and 610 kilometers (380 miles) northwest of Ni Apia is the capital city. Around 3,500 years ago, the Lapita people found and colonized the Samoan Islands. They created a Samoan language and cultural identity.

Samoa has 11 administrative divisions and is a unitary parliamentary democracy. The sovereign state belongs to the Commonwealth of Nations. Western Samoa joined the United Nations on December 15, 1976. Because of the Samoans' sailing abilities, European explorers prior to the twentieth century referred to the whole island group (which includes American Samoa) as the "Navigator Islands." From 1899 until 1915, the nation was a German Empire colony, and subsequently, it was administered jointly by the United Kingdom and New Zealand until 1 January 1962, when it gained independence.

Hiring talented employees in a short span is not an easy task. Partnering with an Employer of Record (EOR) like Rivermate in Samoa is your best option, giving your organization enough time to focus on other aspects of international expansions like project management and inventory management. The EOR takes care of all the compliance and legal issues while helping you speed up hiring using their knowledge of domestic employment practices and virtual onboarding tools. Top EORs also have provisions for the e-signing of documents to enable faster onboarding.

3. Public holidays

4. Types of leave

There is no information about the types of leave for this country.

Paid time off

Public holidays

Sick days

Maternity leave

Paternity leave

Parental leave

Other leave

5. Employment termination

There is no information about employment information for this country.

Termination process

A continuous contract may be terminated by either party. If either party wishes to terminate the employment contract, they must do so within the notice time specified in the employment contract.

Numerous employers create employment contracts with predetermined durations. However, if you end the contract prior to the agreed-upon date, the same laws apply. Additionally, notice periods are waived for daily hiring, part-time and seasonal employees, and employees terminated without cause.

Notice period

The required notice periods vary according to years of service. There will be no notice period for employees with less than three months of service. The notice period will be one week for employees with three months to one year of service. The notice period will be two weeks for employees with one to four years of service. The notice period will be three weeks for employees with four to seven years of service. The notice period will be four weeks for employees with seven to ten years of service. The notice period will be five weeks for employees with ten to thirteen years of service. The notice period will be six weeks for employees with 13 to 16 years of service. The notice period will be seven weeks for employees with 16 to 19 years of service. The notice period will be eight weeks for employees with more than 19 years of service.

Probation period

Employees appointed to career service without a time limit shall serve a one-year probationary period beginning on the effective date of such appointment, during which time their employment may be terminated at any time without a hearing.

Severance pay

If an employee is terminated immediately, the employer is required to pay severance in the amount of wages the employee would have earned during the notice period. Severance pay also includes reimbursement for unused vacation time.

6. Working hours

There is no information about the working hours for this country.

General working schedule

Samoan employees must adhere to a 40-hour workweek, with no more than eight hours of work per day. This rule is subject to several exceptions, including employees who work continuous shifts. Workers must, however, receive a minimum of eight hours of rest between shifts. These standard work hours do not apply to employees who have agreed to work on a piece-work basis.


Employees are not permitted to work more than 12 hours a day. Any additional time is considered overtime, and compensation must be at least 150 percent of the employee's regular rate of pay.

7. Minimum wage

There is no information about the minimum wage for this country.

The minimum wage in Samoa is set at $3.00 tālā an hour.

8. Employee benefits

There is no information about the employee benefits for this country.

Every employer is required to select a private carrier and acquire accident compensation insurance.

You must deduct 5% of each employee's pay and equal that payment to social security. If the employee requests it, you may withhold a greater proportion of their pay to make a larger donation.

Employees may be eligible to receive social security money for old-age pensions, senior citizen benefits, disability pensions, survivor's pensions, and death benefits.

While there are no monetary advantages for workers on sick or maternity leave, they may be eligible for free medical treatment at government health facilities. Various hospital and medical services are included in the senior citizen benefit plan and work injury program.

There are no mandatory perks, but many companies utilize them to motivate employees and reward them for their efforts. You have the option of providing extra advantages at your discretion.

9. Taxes

There is no information about the taxes for this country.

Corporate tax

There is currently no information on the taxation in Samoa

Individual income tax

There is currently no information on the taxation in Samoa

VAT, GST and sales tax

There is currently no information on the taxation in Samoa

10. VISA and work permits

There is no information about VISAĀ and work permits for this country.

Samoa Visa Policy refers to the rules and restrictions that visitors visiting Samoa from any nation in the globe must follow in order to obtain access into the country. They may only enter the nation if they have a valid and lawful visa. The visa allows the visitor to enter the nation without difficulty. A visa is a legal document that allows people to lawfully enter, stay in, or leave a foreign country. It is either stamped or pasted to the inside of a person's passport.

The Samoa Visa Policy varies depending on the individual. This is determined by the person's nationality. Most nations throughout the globe do not need a visa to enter the country. Even if they do, they must get a visa in advance or online if they want to stay in Samoa for longer than the period of time that the nation of Samoa permits them to stay without a visa under the Samoa Visa Policy.

All patriots from all other nations adhere to the Samoa Visa Policy. To acquire access into Samoa for tourist or commercial reasons, they must strictly adhere to the restrictions. After their free stay time expires, everyone must apply for a visa in order to continue staying in the nation for their intended purpose.

According to the Samoa Visa Policy, nations from the European Union and a few others may remain in Samoa for 90 days without a visa. They will not need a visa to enter, stay in, or exit the country for 90 days. If they need to remain in the nation for a longer period of time for whatever reason, they must get a visa since the Samoa Visa Policy prohibits them from being in the country for more than 90 days or three months without a visa.

According to the Samoa Visa Policy, visitors from over 100 countries who visit Samoa for any reason may stay in the nation for up to 60 days without a visa. They may enter, live in, and depart Samoa without a visa, but after the time of 60 days is over, and if they need to remain for longer, they must apply for and acquire a visa to stay in the nation.

People coming to Samoa for any purpose, whether tourist, business, or otherwise, may need to get a visa when the visa-free period given by their nation expires. People who want to stay in Samoa for more than 60 or 90 days have two options for obtaining a visa.

The first option for obtaining a visa is the most straightforward. A visa for the nation of Samoa may be acquired by completing an online form known as the eVisa. An eVisa may be issued while a person is still in Samoa and just needs to prolong his or her stay. This option is open to all nations across the globe who need to remain in Samoa for a longer amount of time than the Samoa Visa Policy allows. The eVisa is valid for 90 days after it is issued.

A consular visa is the second option offered to anyone seeking a visa to dwell in Samoa for a term longer than that given under the Samoa Visa Policy. People may visit any local diplomatic post in Samoa to apply for and get a visa to remain in the country for an extended period of time. They must receive this in order to be permitted to reside in the nation for whatever reason they see fit, without fear of being detained.

11. Employer Of Record service terms

There is no information about the Employer of Record (EoR)Ā service terms for this country.

Employment contracts

The Labor and Employment Relations Act of 2013 requires you to create a formal service contract for each employee. Employment contracts should be written in either English or Samoan, according to the employee's choice.

On request, the Ministry of Commerce, Industry, and Labor will provide you with a pro forma service contract. This version serves as an example of a legally binding employment contract.

You must make three original employment contract copies: one for yourself, one for the employee, and one for the Ministry's Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for their records.

With Rivermate being your Employer of Record (EoR) in Samoa, you do not have to worry about the employment contracts, as we take care of that.

Minimum assignment length

There is no set length for assignments. This is usually indicated in the employment contract for fixed-term employments.

Payment currency

Samoan Tala

13.Opening a subsidiary in Samoa

There is no information about the working hours for this country.

How to set up a subsidiary

Having the necessary documentation and resources streamlines the formation of your subsidiary.

1. Completed and signed applications for registering your firm and acquiring a business license are required.

2. All noncitizen workers must obtain Foreign Employee Employment Permits (FEEPs) and residence permits.

3. Capital to pay beginning expenses, such as fees and overhead for a physical presence.

Subsidiary laws

The legal procedure for creating your in-country organization is influenced by the country's subsidiary legislation. To establish your subsidiary, follow these steps:

1. Register your business: To begin, you must register your business with the Samoa Business Registry. These files are critical for filing your yearly tax returns.

2. Documents should be submitted: Submit your application for Company Charges, together with any supporting documentation, to the Samoa Companies Registry.

3. Fill out an application for a Foreign Investment Certificate (FIC): Fill out an application for a FIC with the Ministry of Commerce, Industry, and Labor. Your application will be approved by the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).

4. Obtain a business license: A business license may be obtained through the Samoa Inland Revenue Services. You may receive your company's Tax Identification Number at this phase (TIN).

5. Handle paperwork from noncitizens: If you want to hire noncitizens, they must apply for FEEPs. These licenses are issued by the Ministry for a period of up to two years. Employees with FEEPs must additionally apply for a resident visa.

13. Why choose Rivermate as your Employer of Record / PEO in Samoa

Establishing an entity in Samoa to hire a team takes time, money, and effort. The labor law in Samoa has strong worker employment protection, requiring great attention to details and a thorough awareness of local best practices. Rivermate makes expanding into Samoa simple and effortless. We can assist you with hiring your preferred talent, managing HR and payroll, and ensuring compliance with local legislation without the hassle of establishing a foreign branch office or subsidiary. Our PEO and Global Employer of Record (EOR) solutions in Samoa give you peace of mind so you can focus on running your business. Please contact us if you'd like to learn more about how Rivermate can help you hire employees in Samoa via our Employer of Record (EOR) / PEOĀ solution.

A woman relaxing and drinking coffee
Hire anyone, anywhere
Ready to get started?