The LABOUR ACT (No. 758/95) says that if a recruiter wants to hire someone in Croatia, they have to think about the employment and labor laws. The country enforces its employment and labor laws to protect its workers in the following ways:
- The maximum number of hours an employee can work is 40 hours a week.
- If they work overtime, it must not be more than 180 hours per year.
- An employee should be permitted to take a break of 30 minutes for every 6 hours of work.
- An employer must deliver a reason justifiable by law to resign from any employment opportunity they are connected with in any of the following ways:
1. Providing a regular notice of termination
2. Providing an extraordinary notice of termination.
- Employees enjoy the right to obtain severance pay, except when there is an end to the contract signed due to any contractual reason.
- The minimum amount of severance pay should not be less than one-third of the average monthly salary obtained three months before the end of the employment contract.
- The maximum severance pay is equal to six average monthly salaries earned in three months before the resignation of the employment contract. The law, collective agreement, working regulations, or employment contract will generate more severance pay.
- The employer must provide a reasonable cause to throw a permanent or temporary employment contract without maintaining the notice period. In case he fails to do so, the employment relationship will be terminated.
- The minimum notice period is strictly prescribed and depends on the duration of the employment relationship with the same employer as follows:
1. for less than one year of employment - 2 weeks
2. for one year of employment- 1 month
3. for two years of employment- 1 month and 2 weeks
4. for five years of employment - 2 months
5. for ten years of employment- 2 months and 2 weeks
6. for twenty years of employment- 3 months
- If a worker has been in office for twenty years under the same employer, the employer can increase the notice period by two weeks. It also depends on the employee's age. He must be at least 50 to receive two weeks of increment. If he is 55 or more, the tenure of the notice period gets increased by one month.
- When the employment contract is suspended, if an employee does not abide by the obligations, the notice period can be decreased twice.
- Employers must clearly explain the termination notice. The employer also needs to inform an established body about the reason for termination. The council may roll out a standpoint of the decision within eight days. In case of emergency, it can be curtailed to five days.