4. Types of leave

There is no information about the types of leave for this country.
Learn more about types of leave >

Paid time off

Employees who have worked for the company for at least a year are eligible to two weeks of paid vacation.

Public holidays

There are 17 national holidays in the Trinidad and Tobago. For each of them, employees are entitled to paid time off.

Sick days

Employees in the Trinidad and Tobago are entitled to fourteen days of sick leave.

Maternity leave

Employees who are expecting a child are entitled to 14 weeks of paid maternity leave. The company is liable for paying the employee for one month of full salary and two months of half pay while on leave.

Paternity leave

Employees in the Trinidad and Tobago are entitled to fourteen days of sick leave.

Parental leave

There are no provisions in the labor laws in Trinidad and Tobago regarding parental leave.

Other leave

5. Employment termination

There is no information about employment information for this country.

Termination process

An employment contract may be terminated by either the employer or the employee. Termination procedures, notice periods, and severance obligations are normally defined by the individual employment agreement or collective bargaining agreement.

For redundancy dismissals, certain rules apply. Employers must provide employees at least 45 days' notice before terminating them for redundancy and paying severance.

Notice period

The notice period is one month for the majority of employees who are paid monthly.

Probation period

There are no provisions in Trinidad and Tobago's labor laws requiring a strict application of probation periods of any length. Three months is a typical duration.

Severance pay

Severance pay begins at two weeks and increases in accordance with the employee's length of service. Employees who are laid off are entitled to severance pay. Employees must receive two weeks' pay for each year of service under the Retrenchments and Severance Benefits Act. Employees who have worked for their employer for five years or more receive two weeks' pay for the first four years and three weeks' pay for the fifth and subsequent years.

6. Working hours

There is no information about the working hours for this country.

General working schedule

Eight hours per day and forty hours per week, spread over five days, is the standard work period.


Overtime is defined as any work performed in excess of the standard eight hours per day. An employee is entitled to 150 percent of their normal hourly rate for the first four hours of overtime. After the first four hours of overtime, employees are entitled to receive 200 percent of their normal rate.

Employees who work on holidays and off days are entitled to receive a wage equal to 200 percent of their regular wage. Any additional overtime is calculated at 300 percent of their normal rate.

7. Minimum wage

There is no information about the working hours for this country.

Trinidad and Tobago sets a National Minimum Wage of $17.50 per hour.

8. Employee benefits

There is no information about the working hours for this country.

Health insurance benefits are administered by the National Insurance Board of Trinidad and Tobago (NIBTT). Employees who contribute to the National Insurance System are eligible for benefits. Those earning $200 or more each week must register and contribute, although employees earning less may still participate. Employers also make a proportionate contribution.

Sickness payments under the NIBTT reimburse individuals who are unable to work due to illness. These may be paid for up to 52 weeks. Employees who are unable to work due to personal injuries are compensated via employment injury benefits. They provide many unique advantages:

Injury benefit: This is provided for up to 52 weeks as the individual heals from their injury.

Disablement benefit: If a person becomes disabled, this benefit is provided either monthly or as a lump amount.

Medical costs: The individual may get a cash payout to cover medical bills.

Death benefit: This is a monthly payment made to a person's dependents in the case of his or her death.

Public health services in Trinidad and Tobago are provided free of charge to both citizens and non-residents. However, public institutions often face equipment and medication shortages, as well as lengthy wait periods. Private facilities provide better treatment but at a premium expense, thus the majority of private facility patients are expatriates.

Residents of Trinidad and Tobago may also receive additional benefits under the NIBTT, such as retirement and burial benefits.

Retirement pension: Residents who have made 750 payments to the National Insurance System and retire between the ages of 60 and 65 are entitled for a retirement pension. They are automatically eligible at the age of 65, whether or not they have retired. The amount of the pension is determined by the amount of contributions made.

Grants for retirement: Residents who have made less than 750 payments to the National Insurance System, on the other hand, may get a one-time lump amount in the form of a retirement award. The grant must be at least $3,000 in value.

Funeral benefits: Funeral benefits pay for the costs of a funeral. Residents who have made at least 25 payments to the National Insurance System or were receiving work injury benefits at the time of their death are eligible for funeral benefits.

9. Taxes

There is no information about the working hours for this country.

Corporate tax

The income of a Trinidad and Tobago resident company is taxed on a global basis. A non-resident corporation doing business in Trinidad and Tobago is taxed solely on revenue earned in or generated from Trinidad and Tobago, whether directly or indirectly.

The normal corporation tax rate is 30%, however this varies depending on the kind of company. The following are the current corporate tax rates:

For ordinary companies (excluding banks), the tax rate is 30 percent.

For petrochemical companies or companies licensed to carry on banking business, the tax rate is 35 percent.

For life insurance companies, the tax rates are 0, 15 percent, 25 percent, and 30 percent depending on certain criteria.

For petroleum production companies (petroleum profits tax), the tax rate is 50 percent.

For petroleum production companies (deep sea), the tax rate is 35 percent.

Individual income tax

Persons who are resident, usually resident, or domiciled in Trinidad and Tobago are taxed on their global earnings, whether or not they are transferred to Trinidad and Tobago. A non-resident person is taxed on income earned in Trinidad and Tobago, subject to the terms of double taxation treaties when applicable (DTTs).

Individuals having taxable income of less than TTD 1 million are taxed at a rate of 25%. The appropriate tax rate for chargeable income in excess of TTD 1 million is 30%.

VAT, GST and sales tax

VAT is levied on a broad variety of products and services. The standard cost for commercial supply is 12.5 percent.

Basic food and agricultural supplies, as well as crude oil, natural gas, and exporting products and services, are all zero-rated. Non-residents pay no tax on hotel accommodations and yachting services.

A variety of services are excluded, including financial services, real estate brokerage, residential rentals, and educational services. Certain financial services, on the other hand, are subject to a 15% transaction tax. VAT is not levied on imported inputs used by high-capital-intensive businesses.

For businesses producing commercial deliveries, the VAT registration threshold is TTD 500,000 for a 12-month period.

10. VISA and work permits

There is no information about the working hours for this country.

Foreign nationals must apply for a business visa before arriving in Trinidad and Tobago unless exempted by treaty or other arrangement. Visas are often given with a 90-day permitted stay and only enable one entrance into the country.

Visa-exempt nationalities do not need a visa to enter the country for business for up to 30 days, 90 days, or 90 days in 180 days, depending on their nationality, or for the term authorized by the immigration officer at the port of entry.

In reality, the stay is usually granted for 21 days.

Foreign people entering Trinidad and Tobago for gainful employment may do so without a work permit once every 12 months for a duration of up to 30 days. A work permit is necessary otherwise. Work permits may be issued for up to three years at first. Except for Canadian and European Union passport holders, they must normally be accompanied by a Multiple-Entry Visa.

11. Employer Of Record service terms

There is no information about the working hours for this country.

Employment contracts

Employment contracts in Trinidad and Tobago may be oral or written, and they can be for a defined or indeterminate period of time. Fixed-term contracts are quite frequent. An employment contract should include the terms and conditions of employment. These conditions may include, but are not limited to, the identity of the parties, the sort of employment, the remuneration, the working hours, and the length of the contract (if it is for fixed term). Collective bargaining agreements may also apply.

Minimum assignment length

There is no set length for assignments. This is usually indicated in the employment contract for fixed-term employments.

Payment currency

Trinidad/tobago Dollar

13.Opening a subsidiary in Trinidad and Tobago

There is no information about the working hours for this country.

How to set up a subsidiary

If you decide to do the Trinidad and Tobago subsidiary establishment procedure on your own, you will need to choose the ideal location for your organization. Different cities or areas in Trinidad and Tobago may have their own subsidiary laws that affect the incorporation procedure. If you are unfamiliar with such rules and restrictions, consider engaging with a third party that can assist you in finding the best location for your business.

Following that, you must evaluate each subsidiary structure to determine which is appropriate for your objectives. You have the choice of forming a private limited company, a public limited company, or a branch office. A private limited company, often known as a limited liability corporation (LLC), is the most common option for businesses moving to Trinidad and Tobago.

The following stages are involved in forming an LLC:

1. Creating a legal entity and registering it with the company's registrar

2. Registering with the Inland Revenue Board (BIR)

3. Getting a BIR and a Pay As You Earn (PAYE) number

4. Registering as a National Insurance Employer within 14 days of employing the first employee

5. Purchasing a one-of-a-kind company name

6. Registering your company's name

7. Articles of Incorporation preparation and registration

8. Obtaining an Incorporation Certificate

Subsidiary laws

LLCs are subject to laws that vary from those of other companies. For example, at least two directors are required. The power to transfer shares between persons should be limited in your articles of incorporation, and the public should not be able to subscribe to shares or debentures. The amount of shares owned by each shareholder limits their responsibility.

Other subsidiary laws in Trinidad & Tobago include:

1. At least one shareholder is required.

2. There is no need for a minimum share capital.

3. Foreign ownership of up to 100% of the LLC is permitted.

4. An yearly shareholders meeting is required.

5. You must have a registered office that you will pay for on an annual basis.

6. A company secretary is required.

7. Tax returns must be filed on a yearly basis.

8. Accounts may need to be audited on occasion.

13. Why choose Rivermate as your Employer of Record / PEO in Trinidad and Tobago

Establishing an entity in

Trinidad and Tobago

to hire a team takes time, money, and effort. The labor law in

Trinidad and Tobago

has strong worker employment protection, requiring great attention to details and a thorough awareness of local best practices. Rivermate makes expanding into

Trinidad and Tobago

simple and effortless. We can assist you with hiring your preferred talent, managing HR and payroll, and ensuring compliance with local legislation without the hassle of establishing a foreign branch office or subsidiary. Our PEO and Global Employer of Record solutions in

Trinidad and Tobago

give you peace of mind so you can focus on running your business.

Please contact us if you'd like to learn more about how Rivermate can help you hire employees in

Trinidad and Tobago

via our Employer of Record / PEO solution.

A woman relaxing and drinking coffee
Hire anyone, anywhere
Ready to get started?
Get started
Book a call