Guide to employment, payroll and benefits in

Western Sahara

Rivermate offers complete payroll, benefits and compliance services for

Western Sahara

01. Overview

Last updated: 

August 19, 2021

Currency
Moroccan Dirham
Capital
Laayoune / El Aaiun
Ease of doing business
Language
Spanish
Population
597339
GDP growth

02. Grow your team in

Western Sahara

with Rivermate

Payroll, benefits, taxes, and compliance can be difficult to manage in

Western Sahara

, particularly if you don't have established local relationships. You can hire employees in

Western Sahara

effectively, conveniently, and in full compliance with all relevant labor laws using Rivermate's global employment solution. We handle the responsibilities and legal risks associated with foreign employment so you can concentrate on growing your company.

03. Summary

Western Sahara is a disputed territory on North and West Africa's northwest coast and in the Maghreb region. The self-proclaimed Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic controls about 20% of the region, while Morocco occupies and administers the remaining 80%. It covers a total area of 266,000 square kilometers. It is one of the world's least populated regions, consisting mostly of desert flatlands. The population is estimated to be just over 500,000 people, with nearly 40% of them living in Laayoune, Western Sahara's largest city. Western Sahara, which was occupied by Spain until 1975, has been on the UN's list of non-self-governing territories since 1963, following a Moroccan demand. It is the most populated and by far the largest territory on the list. The UN General Assembly passed the first resolution on Western Sahara in 1965, requesting that Spain decolonize the region. A year later, the General Assembly passed a new resolution demanding that Spain hold a referendum on self-determination. In 1975, Spain handed over administrative control of the region to a Moroccan-Mauritanian joint government. A war broke out between those countries and the Polisario Front, a Sahrawi nationalist movement that declared the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic in exile in Tindouf, Algeria. In 1979, Mauritania renounced its claims, and Morocco gained de facto control over the majority of the region, including all of the major cities and natural resources. Since a UN-sponsored ceasefire deal in 1991, two-thirds of the region has been controlled by the Moroccan government, with tacit support from France and the United States, and the remainder by the SADR. Internationally, countries such as Russia have taken an ambiguous and neutral stance on both sides' statements, urging both parties to reach a peaceful settlement. Morocco and Polisario have both sought to strengthen their claims by gaining formal recognition, especially from African, Asian, and Latin American countries. The Polisario Front has earned formal recognition for SADR from 46 states and has been granted African Union membership. Several African governments, as well as the majority of the Muslim world and the Arab League, have backed Morocco's stance. Recognitions have been extended and removed in both cases over the last two decades, depending on the development of ties with Morocco. No other UN member state had ever formally acknowledged Moroccan sovereignty over parts of Western Sahara until 2017.

04. Public holidays

05. Types of leave

Paid time off

Public holidays

Sick days

Maternity leave

Paternity leave

Parental leave

Other leave

06. Employment termination

Termination process

Notice period

Severance pay

Probation period

07. Working hours

General

Overtime

08. Minimum wage

General

Salaries in Western Sahara range from 2,620 MAD per month to 46,300 MAD per month.

09. Employee benefits

General

Mandatory benefits postulated by law include a probationary period, pay on annual leaves, public holidays, sick leaves, maternity leave, paternity leave, and overtime pay. Statutory benefits also include social security benefits.

10. Why Rivermate as your Employer of Record / PEO?

Establishing an entity in

Western Sahara

to hire a team takes time, money, and effort. The labor law in

Western Sahara

has strong worker employment protection, requiring great attention to details and a thorough awareness of local best practices. Rivermate makes expanding into

Western Sahara

simple and effortless. We can assist you with hiring your preferred talent, managing HR and payroll, and ensuring compliance with local legislation without the hassle of establishing a foreign branch office or subsidiary. Our PEO and Global Employer of Record solutions in

Western Sahara

give you peace of mind so you can focus on running your business.

Please contact us if you'd like to learn more about how Rivermate can help you hire employees in

Western Sahara

via our Employer of Record / PEO solution.

Ready to get started? Our friendly staff is ready to assist you with all your questions, let's connect.