Bouvet Island is a protected nature reserve in Norway that is uninhabited. It is the world's most isolated island, since it is a subantarctic volcanic island located in the South Atlantic Ocean at the southern end of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. It is not included in the Antarctic Treaty System's northern area. The island is located 1,700 kilometers north of Queen Maud Land's Princess Astrid Coast, 1,900 kilometers east of the South Sandwich Islands, 1,600 kilometers south of Gough Island, and 2,600 kilometers south-southwest of South Africa's coast. It has a surface area of 49 square kilometers, with a glacier covering 93 percent of it. The ice-filled crater of an extinct volcano dominates the island's core. Along its coast, several skerries and one smaller island, Larsya, can be found. Nyrysa, which was created by a rock slide in the late 1950s, is the only simple landing spot and also houses a weather station. During a French exploration mission in the South Atlantic with the ships Aigle and Marie, Frenchman Jean-Baptiste Charles Bouvet de Lozier first discovered the island on January 1, 1739. They didn't make it to the shore. He mislabeled the island's coordinates, and it was not seen again until 1808, when it was discovered by British whaling captain James Lindsay, who called it Lindsay Island. Benjamin Morrell, an American sailor, was the first to claim to have landed on the island, but this claim is debatable. George Norris claimed the island for the British Crown in 1825, naming it Liverpool Island. He also claimed to have seen another island nearby, which he called Thompson Island, but it was later discovered to be a phantom. The first Norvegia expedition landed on the island in 1927, and Norway claimed it. The island's current name, Bouvet Island, was granted to it at that time. It was declared a Norwegian dependency in 1930 after a dispute with the United Kingdom over claiming privileges was resolved. It was classified as a nature reserve in 1971.